Home    10 Ways to Sell Your House Quicker

Master BedroomAre you having trouble selling your house? Not turning viewers into buyers? Before you reduce the selling price of your house, why not try home staging.

When I buy properties to rent, I look for the opposite of the advice I will give you just now. I can typically buy a house, which looks as if it’s a mess and needs a lot of work, decorate it for a few thousand pounds and make a £10,000 – £15,000 profit on it, within the space of a few weeks.

The tips I will give here can be done by you and does not require a professional home stager. However if you do not have the time home stagers are great value for money, so you might want to consider hiring a professional.

What is home staging?

Simply put home staging is decorating your house to make it more attractive to a prospective buyer. It can add 10 – 15% to our house value and can certainly help sell your house a lot quicker and turn those viewers into buyers.

Your taste may not suit everyone else taste

You might think your home is beautifully decorated but other people may not think the same, or have the same taste as you. You can change this by simply decorating your house in a neutral way, which makes it more appealing to a broader market of buyers.

10 ways to attract buyers with home staging

  1. Paint the rooms in your house in neutral colours. This will appeal to the broader market. Imagine having 100 viewers in your house and your rooms are painted in bright vibrant colours. You may get 5 % who have the same taste in colours as you but what about the other 95%; they will be put off by the amount of work they have to do to change the colour scheme. Painting your house in neutral colours is one of the most effective ways of adding value to our house and one of the cheapest and easiest to achieve.
  2. Clear the junk. Nobody wants to view a property if all the rooms are full of junk, it puts you in a bad light and might make the viewers think there is a lot more work they need to do to make it their own. This is basic stuff but you would be surprised at the amount of people who do not clear the junk before viewers come to view their home.
  3. Fix all outstanding repairs. Another easy way to make your house more attractive. Fix the leaking tap, patch the holes in the wall, oil the squeaky doors, and replace cracked tiles. These are only a few of the repairs many people have in their homes.
  4. Depersonalise your home. If you have a lot of personal photographs on the wall and throughout your house take them down and box them for your new house. Prospective buyers want to imagine themselves living in a new house and find it harder to do this when you have the family photos all over the house. This is purely psychological but it does make a difference.
  5. Put excess furniture in storage. Almost every home has furniture that is surplus to requirement and can be put into storage to make the rooms in your house seem larger.
  6. Rearrange your rooms. This again is to give the illusion of more space. The more floor space a viewer can see the better. This is another psychological factor and the more floor space a viewer can see the bigger they think the room is.
  7. Clean the house. Another often-overlooked way sellers can put viewers off their house is to not clean it. Clean all the windows thoroughly, clean sinks and toilets, re-grout your shower cubicle tiles, re-grout floor tiles, open all windows to let fresh air into the house, put clean towels out, clear away any dirty washing.
  8. Let the light in. Open curtains and blinds to their maximum or in some cases take the curtains down altogether. This will let a lot more light in and make it feel more airy and spacious.
  9. Clean the garden. This amazes me as well the amount of people who do not tidy up their garden. Your garden can be a major selling factor so make sure it is clean, tidy and presentable. Re-seed the lawn, get rid of the weeds, clear any rubbish away.
  10. Kerb appeal. You have probably heard this one a million times, if you watch all the home makeover shows on TV, but it is a great tip. Make the front of your house as attractive and inviting as possible. This is the ‘first impressions’ effect, whereby viewers who see a great looking house from the outside are more forgiving of any minor problems inside the house.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply